1. When Carol (call) called last night, I (watch) was watching my favorite show on television.
2. I (work) have worked for this company for more than thirty years, and I intend to stay here until I retire!
3. Sharon (love) loves to travel. She (go) goes abroad almost every summer. Next year, she plans to go to Peru.
4. Thomas is an author. He (write) writes mystery novels and travel memoirs. He (write) has written since he was twenty-eight. Altogether, he (write) has written seven novels, three collections of short stories and a book of poetry.
5. We were late because we had some car problems. By the time we (get) got to the train station, Susan (wait) had been waiting for us for more than two hours.
6. Sam (try) was trying to change a light bulb when he (slip) slipped and (fell) fell.
7. Everyday I (wake) wake up at 6 o’clock, (eat) eat breakfast at 7 o’clock and (leave) leave for work at 8 o’clock. However, this morning I (get) got up at 6:30, (skip) skipped breakfast and (leave) left for work late because I (forget) had forgotten to set my alarm.
8. Right now, Jim (read) is reading the newspaper and Kathy (make) is making dinner. Last night at this time, they (do) were doing the same thing. She (cook) was cooking and he (read) was reading the newspaper. Tomorrow at this time, they (do, also) will also be doing the same thing. She (prepare) will be preparing dinner and he (read) will be reading. They are very predictable people!
9. By this time next summer, you (complete) will have completed your studies and (find) will have found a job. I, on the other hand, (accomplish, not) won’t have accomplished anything. I (study, still) will still be studying and you (work) will be working in some new high paying job.
10. The students (be, usually) are usually taught by Mrs. Monty. However, this week they (teach) are being taught by Mr. Tanzer.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Jane talks on the phone.
Bob has been talking on the phone for an hour.
Mary is talking on the phone.
Who is not necessarily on the phone now? Jane.
I’m going to make dinner for Frank.
I’m making dinner for Judy.
I’ll make dinner for Mary.
I make dinner for Ted.
I will be making dinner for Tony.
Who are you offering to make dinner for? Tony.
Jane left when Tim arrived.
Bob left when Tim had arrived.
When Tim arrived, Mary was leaving.
John had left when Tim arrived.
After Tim arrived, Frank left.
Who did not run into Tim? John.
Jane is talking in class.
Bob always talks in class.
Mary is always talking in class.
Whose action bothers you? Mary.
Jane never left Jamestown.
Bob has never left Jamestown.
Who is still alive? Bob.